About

History of the Marshall County Courthouse

The history of the Marshall County Courthouse reflects the growth and resilience of the community it serves. In 1851, Henry Anson selected the site that would become Marshalltown. The first courthouse was built in 1853 in Marietta, the original county seat. In 1859, after a legal battle, the county seat moved to Marshalltown, with records transported overnight by oxen.

By the 1870s, the existing courthouse was no longer adequate. In 1883, voters approved the construction of a new courthouse. Designed by architect John C. Cochrane, construction began in 1884, and the building was completed in 1886 at a cost of $145,000. It quickly became a central hub for government and community activity.

In the 1890s, the courthouse housed a public library, and in 1900 a tower clock was installed. During the mid-20th century, proposals to replace the courthouse were rejected by voters multiple times.

In the 1970s, local residents organized to preserve the building. Restoration was approved in 1974, and the courthouse was renovated and reopened in 1978.

Since then, the courthouse has undergone continued improvements, including roofing, window replacements, HVAC upgrades, and interior renovations. In 2016, the courthouse celebrated its 130th anniversary, continuing to serve as both a functional government building and a historic landmark.

Tornado of 2018

On July 19, 2018, a powerful tornado struck Marshalltown, causing significant damage throughout the community. The Marshall County Courthouse sustained damage but remained standing as a symbol of resilience. Recovery efforts brought the community together, and the courthouse continued to serve the public during the rebuilding process, reinforcing its role as a cornerstone of Marshall County.

More About the Tornado of 2018

Timeline

May 1851
Henry Anson chose the site for a town and named it Marshall, IA.
August 19, 1851
Two of three commissioners appointed by the Iowa General Assembly selected a place for the county seat, three miles north of the center of Marshall County and named it Marietta, IA.
August 15, 1853
The town of Marshall was platted and recorded.
September 27, 1853
William C. Smith, County Judge, paid Alexander Crow $905.00 to build a 22’ x 32’, one story, frame Courthouse in Marietta, IA.
Fall 1857 and Spring 1858
Citizens of Marshall and Marshall Town Hall Company built a 40’ by 60’ two story brick building at 10-12 South 1st Ave. and offered it to the county. (Currently the county employee parking lot)
April 5, 1858
The voters of Marshall County approved moving the county seat to the two-story brick building in Marshall, IA. 667 Votes affirmative and 562 votes negative.
December 31, 1859
After a lengthy court proceeding, the Iowa Supreme Court decided in favor of Marshall as the new county seat. After a “night march on Marietta,” the county records and the safe were brought to Marshall by 8 yoke of oxen, and the clashes between towns eventually stopped. The records and safe were placed in the 1st Ave, two story, brick courthouse where they remained for 26 years.
April 27, 1860
The Marietta Courthouse was purchased by a hardware merchant for $175.00 and brought to 20 West Main St., Marshall, IA (currently the Tremont building location).
May 1863
To avoid confusion with a town called “Marshall” in Henry County, IA., The town was renamed “Marshalltown” and became officially incorporated in July.
Mid 1870’s
The second Courthouse was in bad need of repair and something needed to be done. Residents began lobbying for a new Courthouse.
1873 Approximately
The Marietta (1st) Courthouse was moved to 610 West State St., where it remains the back section on an apartment house.
1882
Citizens voted in a new jail, previously defeated by vote in 1876.
October 10, 1883
Citizens voted for a new $100,000 Marshall County Courthouse to be built on the public square deeded by Henry Anson in 1881.
October 15, 1883
The jail almost completed, the County Board of Supervisors voted to utilize the same building committee, namely the three Supervisors, J. M. Gilchrist (82-84), E. G. Swift (83-89), W. G. Benedict (85-87), the County Auditor, A.N. French and Dr. George Glick.
January 21, 1884
Architect Johnny C. Cochrane of Chicago, whose firm had designed the State Capitol building in Des Moines, was selected to make plans and write specifications for the new Courthouse.
November 25, 1884
The cornerstone was laid. Local contractors LeGrand Quarry Co. and Banzhaf & Atkinson were contracted for stone and mason work, and D. E. Townsend, was the contractor for carpentry and glazing.
November 19, 1886
The $145,000, 80’ x 130’ x 175’ tall Courthouse was dedicated in the afternoon and evening ceremonies. A new semi-circular drive approached the south entrance.
February 1892
People in the community petitioned the B.O.S. to secure a room in the Courthouse for a Marshall County Public Library. The library was located on 2nd floor from July 1893 to 1898 with an annual fee for a library card. The first librarian was Mrs. Scheeler.
February 15, 1900
A $2,580 tower clock installation was completed. Henry Anson’s funeral was held in the Grand Court Room.
November 1942
Several war cannons and the Spanish-American mine from the Courthouse lawn went to Gra-Iron Foundry for conversion into scrap metal for the World War II war effort.
May 7, 1954
A bond election for a new Courthouse and jail failed, getting only a 35.7% favorable vote.
October 1957
The brick Courthouse located at the rear of 10-12 S. 1st Ave. was torn down. Prior to1957, the Courthouse was sold for $8,000 and the building was moved toward the alley.
May 12, 1968
Another bond election for a new Courthouse failed, getting only a 46.1% favorable vote.
June 1972
County Supervisors signed a contract with Foss, Englestadt and Foss, Sioux City Architects for new courthouse plans.
1972
“Friends of the Courthouse” organized by Mrs. Nile W. Oldham with Thomas E. Swartz, Chairman, hired structural and renovation architects for feasibility studies and campaigned for renovation.
October/November 1972
The Courthouse was nominated by “Friends” and appointed to the State and National Historical Site Register.
November 7, 1972
A $1.6 million bond issue for a new Courthouse failed, getting only a 48.3% favorable vote.
January 1974
Mary C. Means, Regional Director of the National Historic Trust, sponsored by “Friends”, spoke in town to promote restoration.
February 12, 1974
“Save the Courthouse Comm.” was organized when “Friends” joined John W. Norris Sr. and C. Porter to campaign for rebuilding the landmark structure.
February 26, 1974
In a near record turnout referendum, 60.3% of Marshall County voters approved the restoration renovation.
October 1, 1974
70.8% of voters approved a $3.2 million bond issue in favor for renovation. Architect William Wagner of Des Moines, was chosen to prepare renovation plans. A.H. Neuman was hired as general contractor.
April 1975
Original Courthouse plans were located in the weigh master’s office of the LeGrand Quarry Company. The plans were in possession of Fred Buchanan.
October 1975
Marshall County offices were moved into the 1894 High School building at 113 N. 1st Ave. The building was called the “Temporary Courthouse”. This building was torn down eventually and an apartment complex built in its place.
1977
Green Castle Recreation Area was purchased from the Zesch family. The lake was built in 1966 and the dam was reconstructed in 1988.
June 1978
County government returned to the newly renovated 1886 Courthouse on the public square. Supervisors during the reconstruction were Thomas E. Swartz, John Wilke, Virtus Brockman and Dale Martin.
Sunday, November 19, 1978
A festive Rededication ceremony of the Courthouse followed the renovation much like the celebration held on November 19, 1886 when the Courthouse was built.
1986
A Centennial celebration was held at the Courthouse.
Late 1980’s
The boiler room located behind the Sheriff’s office on 1st Ave. piped heat to the Courthouse through a tunnel under the street. By the late 1980’s, a new heating and cooling system was installed in the attic of the Courthouse.
August 1991
The Heart of Iowa Trail was a cooperative effort of the Marshall & Story Co. Conservation Boards. Construction began on the 4.2 mile Marshall County Segment in 1991.
1996
Central Point of Coordination was mandated by Senate File 69 in every county to assist with mental health disabilities. This office was housed at the Courthouse Annex (old Commercial Bank building) located at 101 E. Main St.
July 1996
The County Nurse was located on 3rd floor of the Courthouse until the County contracted out those services with Home Care Plus (no longer in existence). The Magistrate’s office has since moved to this location.
1997
The Marshall County Home located at 2369 Jessup Ave closed after 130 years. In the election of 1867, it was voted 1434 affirmative and 280 negative for the County Poor Farm (Marshall County Home) be built.
1999
Marshall County Law Center (Jail) opened in the completely renovated former Marshall County Home on Jessup Ave.
1999
Marshalltown chose not to appoint a new Assessor due to some new state legislative changes. The Co. Assessor then assumed duties of both the City and Co. Assessor. The City Assessor’s office space on the 1st floor eventually gave way to the new Information Services (I.S.) Department office space.
1999
Marshall County Conservation Board along with the National Heritage Foundation and many individuals, businesses and organizations purchased the 95-acre Sand Lake area where many enjoy local fishing today.
2002
Over the years the offices in the Courthouse experienced location changes. In 2002, The Engineer’s Office, located on 1st floor, moved to the Grossman building at 101 E Church St. where they are currently. The Attorney’s office moved from 3rd to 1st floor (vacated by the Engineer’s office), Planning and Zoning office moved to 3rd floor (vacated by Attorney’s office). A new Geographical Information Systems (G.I.S.) office formed and was located next to Treasurer’s office on 2nd floor. A division of the Clerk of Court moved from 2nd to 4th floor and the 4th floor prisoner holding room became the new security officer’s office.
2003
Grimes Farm and Conservation Center was built just outside the city limits of Marshalltown. The building features an exhibit room, classroom, kitchen and library. Hiking trails provide access to forests, prairies, wetlands and crop fields.
February 24, 2004
General Assistance duties were added to the Central Point of Coordination and in turn became present day Community Services.
2004
The Commission of Veteran’s Affairs Office (originally housed at the Courthouse) moved from the Annex to the Iowa Veteran’s Home (Heinz Hall) where it is located today.
2005
Wood Roofing Inc, Des Moines, IA re-roofed the Courthouse, consisting of removal and repair of the slate roofing and gutters. Historic features were retained. The project cost approx. $475,000.
2005
The portion of the Linn Creek Recreational trail from Marshalltown to Grimes Farm and Conservation Area was completed.
2006
The 5th floor was remodeled with newly installed security locks. The law library (new at the 1978 renovation) gave way to a new courtroom.
November 4, 2008
The public voted in favor to combine the duties of the Recorder with the duties of the Auditor and Treasurer and abolish the office of the Recorder. Woodbury County is the only other County in Iowa to do this. The results were 8371 votes affirmative, 7183 negative.
April 14, 2009
By Board Resolution, Iowa Township was abolished reducing Marshall County townships down to 16, thereby adhering to the Rectangular Survey System originally proposed by Thomas Jefferson.
2009-2010
Courthouse windows and doors were replaced with energy saving replacements for a project cost just over $600,000.
2010-2011
While wind energy is being utilized more as an energy source, a 52 turbine wind farm was built in Laurel, IA and a 29 wind turbine farm in Vienna Township, which was expanded to 51 turbines in 2013.
2011
The Grand Courtroom was refurbished with new paint, carpet, window treatments, chair cushions and electronic needs. The old metal fold-up opera chairs were replaced with refurbished church pews for public seating.
Spring 2011
The Board conducted their regular public meetings in the Council Chambers at 10 W. State Street “temporarily” while offices in the Courthouse were relocating. In January, the Treasurer’s Office (Motor Vehicle Division) was moved from the Marshalltown Mall back to the Courthouse to join the Property Tax division of the Treasurer.
February-April 2012
To better serve the public and workflow for employees, several Courthouse offices relocated. The Recorder’s office moved to 2nd fl., next to Auditor’s office. The Board office moved to the old Recorder’s on 3rd fl. The Planning and Zoning Office now shares an office with the Board and the G.I.S. office is located on the 3rd fl. (previously the Planning and Zoning Dept.). In Jan. 2015, the I.S. and G.I.S. departments are under the direction of one C.I.O.
Spring 2012
The Marshall County portion of Linn Creek trail was connected with the Hwy 330 trail and the Heart of Iowa trail at Rhodes, IA. These trail segments are part of the American Discovery Trail.
2013 and 2015
East & West side HVAC systems were replaced for approx. $750,000.
July 1, 2014
Marshall Co. Mental Health regionalized as mandated by the State.
January 13, 2015 and Summer of 2016
Courthouse tuck-pointing caused the replacement of approx. 90 stones that were crumbling. In 2016, several floors of the rotunda area were freshly repainted with new colors just prior to the Courthouse 130th celebration.
Saturday, November 19, 2016
The 130th Celebration of the Courthouse offered afternoon Courthouse tours, food and drink. Evening Holiday Stroll 25th Anniversary activities followed.