General Assistance is emergency assistance for low-income and indigent residents of Marshall County who have exhausted all other funding sources. General Assistance can assist with items such as:
The General Assistance program is administered by Veterans Affairs staff following guidelines in the Marshall County General Assistance Policy approved by the Board of Supervisors.
- You may pick up the Marshall County General Assistance Application at the office during normal office hours or download the application.
- Once you have the necessary documentation (household bank statements, Identification, completed checklist, etc.) and have completed and signed the application, please call during office hours to set an appointment for receipt and review of your application.
- A completed application with required documentation must be submitted to the General Assistance Office for review at your appointment to check references and eligibility requirements.
- Completed applications received after the 10th of the month will have the application held for consideration for the next application deadline.
- Funds will be released following the normal county payable schedule, following Board of Supervisor approval at their regularly scheduled board meeting. Repayment of assistance is generally required.
- Mid-Iowa Community Action (MICA) is the Community Action agency serving the Marshall County area. MICA administers the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and assistance with utility costs. They also administer the Ministerial Funds for the Iowa Falls and Alden areas. For more information, please visit the Mid-Iowa Community Action website.
- 211 Iowa is a free, comprehensive information and referral system linking Iowa residents to health and human service programs, community services, disaster services and governmental programs. For more information, please visit the 211 Iowa website. https://www.211iowa.org/